Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Patriot's Day, Grandparent's Day, and Constitution Day!

My kiddos are adjusting really well to kindergarten! Of course, there have been days when I've had to review the class rules over and over again! But, for the most part they are trying to get used to our routine and procedures. Last week for Patriot Day, our Primary classrooms gathered around our flag pole to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Our principal spoke about 9-11 on their level, our music teacher sang the National Anthem with us, and later in the day all the kindergarten classes made flags. Our lessons focused on Patriotism and heroes. Since "my" was their sight word, they wrote "my" flag and attached it to their flags.

 
 
We celebrated Grandparent's Day on Wednesday. Our honor choir sang a beautiful "Grandparents" song. Afterwards, all the kindergarten kiddos (3 classes) sang the 100 Song from Heidi Songs, Humpty Dumpty and A Beautiful Day by Jack Hartmann. They were so cute and sang so well! I'm sure everyone enjoyed their performance. We had 3 rotations: cafeteria for snacks, lobby for photos, and our classrooms. Of course, we knew there would be students who didn't have a grandparent or relative, so we asked staff members to be their "special" friend. We have the best staff who were so willing to help us! Here is one of the books I read aloud to my kiddos, What Grandmas Do Best/What Grandpas Do Best by Laura Numeroff. They loved it!
 
 
For Constitution Day, I read a picture book titled, The U.S. Constitution by Norman Pearl and explained the importance of this famous document on their own level. Also, all the kindergarten classes watched a video about Constitution Day. I wish I had more time to spend on this lesson. I saw a book in blogland titled, We the Kids by David Catrow, that I would like to have for next year.
 
 
 
Please let me know your activities or lessons you used for these special days. I love learning new ideas and maybe next year I can improve on these lessons! I appreciate all the fantastic teachers in Blogger Land! :)
 
~ Lisa

 
 

 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment