Friday, November 23, 2012

Stone Soup and Turkeys!

Hello! It's hard to believe how fast this month is going by! I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and has a nice break from school! I am enjoying the time off and spending time with family. I am so thankful for the blessings in my life! Of course, this time of year most of us reflect on things we are thankful for, but wouldn't it be nice to count our blessings everyday?  Psalms 92:1 says, "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord..." The last day before our break, I asked my students to tell me and the class something they were thankful for. Their answers were so cute! I almost cried when some said they were thankful for "ME"! :)

Here are a few activities my kindergarten kiddos enjoyed last week:
  • Stone Soup - Our kindergarten classes got together for our annual Stone Soup day on Monday. We read aloud the book Stone Soup, watched a video, and made a graph of all the vegetables used for ingredients to make the soup. The soup cooked all day and everyone had the opportunity to taste it during our snack time in the late afternoon. It tasted so good!
  • Here's a link to a summary of the book: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stone-soup-marcia-brown/1100222926 The children really enjoyed the story and all the activities. Here are a few photos.
           
 
Marlana, from http://lilcountrykindergarten.blogspot.com/ is one of my co-workers. She is so creative! She made our "Stone Soup Evaluation" sheets and an emergent reader for our kiddos!

  • Turkeys - I read lots of books about the first Thanksgiving, Pilgrims, Native Americans, and of course turkeys! The kiddos really enjoyed making turkeys out of their hand prints! I encouraged them to add details to their pictures and they were so creative! I'm not sure who the author is for the poem attached to their artwork, but I thought it was cute! It's probably a familiar poem to many of you too.

 

I would love to hear about your lessons/activities you had with your students! It's been fun being a part of the blogging world and I am thankful for the opportunity. Of course, I still have lots to learn and maybe someday will create products like so many of my friends on TPT! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, products, activities, and ideas with me!

~ Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment